Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions About FSP

If my automobile stops running, what should I do? 

Please stay with your car. Do not attempt to cross freeway lanes. It is crucial that you and your passengers remain safe.

Should I use a call box or dial 911 to call the Freeway Service Patrol? 

It is not necessary to call FSP trucks from a cell phone or call box during our hours of operation. FSP drivers can usually find you in less than 10 minutes. If necessary, the driver can call the CHP to request additional assistance. During non-FSP hours, or in areas not served by FSP, call boxes and cell phones are helpful.

How will I recognize the Freeway Service Patrol? 

The FSP contracts with independent tow companies to provide roadside assistance. All trucks used in the Freeway Service Patrol Program are white and display the FSP logo mounted on both sides of their vehicle. FSP drivers wear blue uniforms and lime green vests with the FSP logo. Drivers also have photo identification cards.

Are Freeway Service Patrol drivers certified? 

Yes. Drivers receive their certification after completing a Caltrans and CHP-designated training program.

Are there any costs or tips involved? 

No. Drivers are not allowed to accept any compensation for their service.

Will the Freeway Service Patrol tow me home or to repair garage? 

No. The Freeway Service Patrol can only tow vehicles to CHP identified locations. Additionally, they cannot recommend other tow service companies, repair or body shops.

What can you expect from the Freeway Service Patrol? 

If your automobile stops running while on the freeway, the Freeway Service Patrol can assist you by:

  •  Helping change a flat tire 
  • Providing a gallon of fuel 
  • Jump-starting cars 
  • Making minor repairs 

If the Freeway Service Patrol cannot get your automobile running by providing the above services, it will be towed, FREE OF CHARGE, to a California Highway Patrol-identified location off the freeway.

If needed, the Freeway Service Patrol driver will call the CHP to request additional assistance for you.  The Freeway Service Patrol can ONLY tow you to the nearest CHP-identified location.


Frequently Asked Questions About The Program

How long has the Free Service Patrol been around? 

The Sacramento Metropolitan FSP Program started in November 1992 with just four trucks. Today, FSP covers all the major freeways in Sacramento and Yolo Counties with 15 trucks and provides over 34,000 assists a year. The total number of assists since the inception of the program is nearing 850,000!

Who pays for the Freeway Service Patrol? 

Funding comes from the State of California through the State Highway Account, Senate Bill 1 (SB 1) and from the Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) which staffs and manages the Capitol Valley Regional Service Authority for Freeways and Expressways (SAFE). The SAFE monies from SACOG serve as the required local match obligation attached to the State monies. 

How can I provide feedback regarding the Freeway Service Patrol? 

If you are a motorist that has been assisted by FSP, you should have been given a small card with a unique five-digit reference number to take an online survey. The online survey can be accessed by going to

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback. Your input lets us know how we’re doing and helps us make improvements to the program. Your answers are important to us!

Please email us if you have any issues with your code.

If you have an FSP experience or story to share, send us an email. We'd love to hear from you.